Paleonet: problems with some old thin sections

Tony Wright tony.wright at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 10 07:43:18 GMT 2018

Hi Bruno,

I have had a similar experience with coral thin sections dating back as far as the 1960s. The problem was caused by oxidation of a compound called Permount which was used to attach the coverslips, and this may be the case with your illustrated specimens. With the sections I was using it was possible to flick off the coverslip by carefully using a scalpel (the slip will be loose at the corner or ends) or similar blade and removing the Permount with either more careful scraping and/or cleaning with acetone or Xylol.

Providing new coverslips should be simple if the original glue was Canada Balsam. In my case it was often Lakeside so great care had to be used to limit the heat otherwise the Lakeside 'boiled', generating disastrous bubbles. This also happened when my technician tried Loctite for coverslippng, and even a few minutes under the UV was a disaster.

Good luck!
Tony Wright