Paleonet: Cynognathus

Alexander Glass alex.glass at duke.edu
Mon Sep 10 13:24:30 GMT 2018

Can anyone speak to the posture of the hind limbs of Cynognathus?  I have tried to find some primary literature on this but a lot of it is difficult for me to get through our library system.  My reading is that Gregory and Camp based their hindlimb reconstruction on that of Microgomphodon.    See their reconstruction on page 541 here<https://books.google.com/books?id=tgVLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA538&lpg=PA538&dq=A+reconstruction+of+the+skeleton+of+Cynognathus&source=bl&ots=TQMcryEN63&sig=9aWYg27MaIl9aOiMndleRqM8dd8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7uMC44KTdAhXNtlMKHa3QCQIQ6AEwDnoECAMQAQ#v=snippet&q=cynognathus&f=false>

The only other visual reconstruction I could find is the one shown here<https://www.britannica.com/animal/Cynognathus> from the American Museum of Natural History (but I am not sure what this is based on), and of course this one<http://www.occc.edu/biologylabs/Documents/Evolution%20Tutorial/Transition_Mammal.htm> (top drawing).  I assume the latter is by Scott Hartmann but all efforts to contact him have failed me.

Does skeletal material, to accurately reconstruct the posture of the hind limbs of Cynognathus, exist, and can someone point me to the right literature?

A challenged invertebrate guy who teaches things he clearly knows little about :)

Alexander Glass
Senior Lecturer
Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies
Division of Earth and Ocean Sciences