Paleonet: Reminder: Paleobiology of Cephalopods at NAPC 2019

Margaret Mary Yacobucci mmyacob at bgsu.edu
Mon Feb 25 14:40:25 GMT 2019

Hello Paleonetters!

A last-minute reminder that Lucy Chang, Ben Linzmeier, and I are organizing a symposium "Paleobiology of Cephalopods" for the 11th North American Paleontological Convention (NAPC), which will be held June 23-27, 2019 at the University of California, Riverside. We would like to encourage you to submit an abstract to this session!

This symposium will showcase the latest research on fossil cephalopods, including nautiloids, ammonoids, and coleoids, from the entire Phanerozoic. Speakers will share paleobiological insights on this charismatic fossil group derived from a range of methods, from new anatomical and phylogenetic approaches to biogeochemical analyses and biostratigraphic studies. We anticipate several subthemes with multiple speakers each, including anatomical and biomechanical reconstructions, paleoecological interpretations, and biodiversity patterns. The goal of the session is to show how cephalopod fossils inform what we know about ecological change, evolution, and extinctions. This session will be a half-day of oral presentations, with the potential for a poster session as well, depending on abstract submissions.

NAPC is a conference that meets every 4-5 years and brings all the various branches of paleontology together at one meeting. It is deliberately more student-centric and informal than the large annual professional meetings and includes amateurs and public outreach events, as well as great field trip opportunities. The meeting website is: http://www.napc2019.ucr.edu/.

The deadline to submit abstracts, submit your early registration, and apply for student travel grants is Friday, March 1, 2019 - just a few days away!

Let us know if you have any questions. I hope you can join us!

Best wishes,
Peg

Dr. Margaret (Peg) M. Yacobucci
Professor, Department of Geology