Paleonet: very sad news

Sandy Carlson sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 8 23:52:58 GMT 2020

I have just been told that Richard Cowen, our wonderful colleague for years, passed away today unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I will send more information when I receive it.

Richard enlivened functional morphology and paleoecology for many, many paleontologists over a great many years; his early work on brachiopods still stands as truly excellent foundational paleontological research; his History of Life textbook is used widely, presenting a very informative and fun view of our field.

A great loss, and much too soon.

		Sandy
<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Sandra J. Carlson
Professor of Geology
Faculty Director, CalTeach/MAST at UC Davis
Past-President, The Paleontological Society
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA  95616-8605

sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu <mailto:sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu>