Paleonet: very sad news

Peter Roopnarine proopnarine at calacademy.org
Thu Jan 9 01:14:39 GMT 2020

This is indeed sad news Sandy. Thank you for letting us know.

Peter

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020, Sandy Carlson <sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> I have just been told that Richard Cowen, our wonderful colleague for
years, passed away today unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I will send
more information when I receive it.
> Richard enlivened functional morphology and paleoecology for many, many
paleontologists over a great many years; his early work on brachiopods
still stands as truly excellent foundational paleontological research; his
History of Life textbook is used widely, presenting a very informative and
fun view of our field.

--
Dr. Peter D. Roopnarine, Curator of Geology
Department of Invertebrate Zoology & Geology

Phone: (415) 379-5271
FAX: (415) 379-5732
WWW:
https://www.calacademy.org/staff/ibss/invertebrate-zoology-and-geology/peter-roopnarine
Twitter: @peterroopnarine
Blog: http://proopnarine.wordpress.com
"If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn't have been worth
the Nobel Prize", R. Feynman
<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/richardpf116607.html>