Paleonet: Richard Cowen tribute

Sandy Carlson sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 24 19:13:29 GMT 2020

The tribute to Richard is now posted on the department’s website — it includes some nice photos as well.

https://geology.ucdavis.edu/people/inmemoriam/cowen <https://geology.ucdavis.edu/people/inmemoriam/cowen>

		Sandy

> On Jan 15, 2020, at 1:45 PM, Sandy Carlson <sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I am sending this out to those who knew Richard and may or may not have seen the notice on Paleonet.
>>
>> The department website (https://geology.ucdavis.edu/ <https://geology.ucdavis.edu/>) has a notice posted, and Gary Vermeij and I are working on a tribute to post there in the next few days.
>>
>> Janice Fong has set up a page to share memories, if you wish to contribute:
>> The email memories-of-richard at ucdavis.edu <mailto:memories-of-richard at ucdavis.edu> is now active. Please use it to share your condolences and memories.
>>
>> Let us know if you wish to publicly share your memory on https://geology.ucdavis.edu/people/inmemoriam/cowen/memories <https://geology.ucdavis.edu/people/inmemoriam/cowen/memories>.
>> If you would prefer that we privately forward it on to Richard’s wife Jo and their two daughters, we will do that.
>>
>> Jo wanted to let people know that the family will be planning a Celebration of Life for Richard sometime in the late Spring.
>> Anyone from the UC Davis EPS department will be invited to attend and the date and location will be announced, once that is decided.
>>
>> 		Sandy
>>

>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: Sandy Carlson <sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu <mailto:sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu>>
>>> Subject: Paleonet: very sad news
>>> Date: January 8, 2020 at 3:52:58 PM PST
>>> To: paleonet at paleonet.org <mailto:paleonet at paleonet.org>
>>>
>>> I have just been told that Richard Cowen, our wonderful colleague for years, passed away today unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I will send more information when I receive it.
>>>
>>> Richard enlivened functional morphology and paleoecology for many, many paleontologists over a great many years; his early work on brachiopods still stands as truly excellent foundational paleontological research; his History of Life textbook is used widely, presenting a very informative and fun view of our field.
>>>
>>> A great loss, and much too soon.
>>>
>>> 		Sandy

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Sandra J. Carlson
Professor of Geology
Faculty Director, CalTeach/MAST at UC Davis
Past-President, The Paleontological Society
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA  95616-8605

sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu <mailto:sjcarlson at ucdavis.edu>