Paleonet: Biostratigraphic datums - a question

Martin J. Head mhead at brocku.ca
Tue Apr 17 22:27:27 GMT 2007

Dear Paleonetters,

I have a question concerning the nomenclature of a particular
biostratigraphic datum.

Although highest occurrences often refer to the highest sample in
which a taxon is found in a particular section, the real highest
occurrence will likely be at some interpolated point (normally placed
at the midpoint) between the highest observed occurrence and the next
sample up.  The difference in position between the observed HO and
the inferred HO will depend on the sample spacing.

Is there a term for this inferred/interpolated HO?

I'd wondered if HOD (highest occurrence datum) might be the
appropriate term, but I believe this refers to a three-dimensional
surface of HOs whereas my "inferred HO" could refer to a single
stratigraphic section (i.e a point).

I hope the answer is not too obvious!  Thanks for any help or ideas.

Martin

Martin J. Head
Professor
Department of Earth Sciences