Paleonet: Biostratigraphic datums - a question

Tony D'Agostino adagostino at houston.rr.com
Tue Apr 17 23:04:45 GMT 2007

In 27 years of industry biostratigraphy I have never seen or heard of usage
described by Martin Head (below). In the oil business that would be what we
refer to as "made up data". A HO datum (please no Don Imus comments) is
routinely adjusted to the top depth of a sample interval when working with
cuttings material or any kind of sample that is a composite over a
stratigraphic interval. Occassionally I've seen workers assign a datum to a
midpoint of such a sample interval, but I've never encountered, let alone
used the method described by Dr. Head.  Why would one interpolate a depth
for a HO datum at some point that is not sampled or examined, providing a
basis for observations? Best practices dictate that you assign the datum to
some depth within or at the end points of the sample interval. At least you
know with certainty, if not precision, where that the fossil was observed to
occur. Leave the "interpolation" to the seismic interpreters.

Tony D'Agostino
20746 Prince Creek Drive
Katy, Tx. 77450
281-646-1660 adagostino at houston.rr.com

"The limits of a tyrant are determined by the endurance of those that oppose
him" Frederick Douglass