Paleonet: Biostratigraphic datums - a question

David Kopaska-Merkel davidkm at gsa.state.al.us
Wed Apr 18 13:28:57 GMT 2007

I have not used the technique that Dr. Head proposes, but I have encountered
analogous problems many times.  The desire is to include the very useful
information that the taxon in question is absent from the lowest sample
above its highest observed occurrence.  If the samples are closely spaced
then you know with considerable precision where the highest occurrence would
be if you sampled the entire section.  If the samples are far apart your
precision is much less.  You hate to throw away the information you get when
your observation is precise.

I am not sure it is really correct to name the midpoint of the non-sample
interval as the estimated highest occurrence.  What if you used a
single-sided error bar?  All of your error is above that highest occurrence
that you have observed.  So I suggest you put a dot or what have you at the
highest observed occurrence and an error bar reaching up to the lowest
observed absence.

David

David C. Kopaska-Merkel
Geological Survey of Alabama
P.O. Box 869999
Tuscaloosa AL 35486-6999
(205) 247-3695 (direct line/voice mail)
(205) 349-2852 (switchboard)
fax 349-2861
www.gsa.state.al.us

To join sednet, an e-mail group for discussion of sedimentology, send a
blank e-mail message to sednet-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.

To join a new list about science education in Alabama, send a blank e-mail
message to ALScienceEdNews-subscribe at yahoogroups.com.

  _____