Paleonet: results: prodisso vs. protoconch

Nikolaus Malchus n.malchus at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 12:08:16 GMT 2007

Dear colleagues,

         Some time ago I asked for opinions on whether larval shell
terminology in molluscs (protoconch vs. prodissoconch, etc.) with gast. and
biv. in mind should be simplified. I got as many opinions as answers
ranging from

-         don’t fix if it is not broken

-         homology is not a necessary prerequisite to use the same
terms

-         yes, reductions desirable

         Although without any statistical significance, the tendency to
reduce terminology appears to win. In that case, which terms to use? First
introduction of a term appears not an argument as prodissoconch refers to
the bivalved condition, the more general term is protoconch. -
Nevertheless, I would like to learn who introduced the term, in which
context (gastropods, cephalopods, ammonites, nautilids (ammonitella), other
mollusks?) and when?

         At present it appears best to accept the authors’ choice
and see which comes out as the winner on the long run (my guess is that
protoconch would win only if more gastropod people publish on bivalves,
;-).

         The question of homology appears an entirely separate issue (and
goes much deeper). I was cautioned that “at least the protoconch 2
(P2) is not homologous. In gastropods it is formed in planktotrophic larvae
only (veligers), not present in Archaeogastropoda (Patellomorpha,
Vetigastropoda, etc) and possibly diphyletic (Neritopsina, Caenogastropoda
and more advanced groups) (Bandel 1982, etc. (summarised, e.g.,  in
Haszprunar et al. 1995, Acta Zoologica, Stockholm, 76: 141-154)” see
also v. S.-Plawen, Iberus, Vol. 9 (1-2): 1-33 (1990/1991).

Based on my humble knowledge, I would say this depends on whether we
understand homology as a synapomorphy or symplesiomorphy or is it truly
convergent (parallel)?, and on when the mantle margin takes over to produce
shell. Does the latter happen before metamorphosis or afterwards? If there
were a common stem group for bivs. and gastr. and this had a
non-planktotrophic development without mantle margin producing
prodissoconch then the P2 is a convergent/parallel development.

Within bivalves, Philobryidae (long-term internal brooders, hatching
juveniles) appear to lack a P2, but a closer look shows that much of the
larval shell has commarginal growth increments, id est, in my view an
indication that it was actually produced by the mantle margin (long before
metamorphosis), so it has a P2. Can we exclude a similar case for
“archaeogastropods”, for example? Interestingly, palaeotaxodont
protoconchs appear to really lack such a P2 phase. And apparently also
ammonitellas. Any thoughts on this?

         Although the following paper does not answer any of the above
questions it is still worth reading (thanks to Alan Kabat pointing this out
to me):

R. D. Turner, J. A. Pechenik, and C. B. Calloway, 1986. "The language of
 benthic marine invertebrate development patterns: problems and needs."
 Pages 227-235, in (Mary-Frances Thompson, et al., eds.), Biology of
Benthic
 Marine Organisms: Techniques and Methods as Applied to the Indian  Ocean.
 Bombay: Oxford and IBH Publishing.

         Thanks to all contributers,

         Best wishes,

         Niko
Nikolaus Malchus
PhD (Geology-Paleontology)
Dept. de Geologia/Unitat Paleontologia, Universitat
Autònoma de Barcelona, Campus, Edifici Cs
08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès), Catalonia,
SPAIN; Tel x34-93-581-1464 / Fax x34-93-581-1263
http://www.senckenberg.de/odes/06-16.htm
International Congress on Bivalvia, July 2006
published abstracts, field guides and posters