Paleonet: Known First as Fossils - Clarification

Carl Mehling cosm at amnh.org
Wed Mar 7 14:37:05 GMT 2007

Hi All,
Some have suggested that I look into "living fossils." The examples I
am looking for are not necessarily "living fossils." To me, that term
describes taxa whose lineages have an extremely long geological
records and which persist today in basically the same form. This
would be things like Latimeria, cockroaches, Lingula, lycopods, etc.
But I am only looking for taxa that were first known as fossils and
then were subsequently found extant. This would include things like
the XXX known from 4 million year old fossils and then later found
alive today, as well as things like coelacanths, but not things like
horseshoe crabs. I also wouldn't consider the XXX a "living fossil"
because of its relatively recent oldest fossil occurrence.
Best,
Carl

Carl Mehling
Fossil Amphibian, Reptile, and Bird Collections
Division of Paleontology
American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West @79th Street
New York, NY  10024