Paleonet: Known First as Fossils - Clarification

Nikolaus Malchus n.malchus at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 15:16:46 GMT 2007

HI Carl,

The term "living fossil" does not necessarily imply that it was first found
alive and then fossil matches were found.  Original reference to the
fossil organism may be much older than to the living counterpart and this
should be easily seen by comparing the references given in books on living
fossils, ;-)

Cheers,

Niko.

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:37:05 -0500
> Von: Carl Mehling <cosm at amnh.org>
> An: paleonet at nhm.ac.uk, vrtpaleo at usc.edu
> Betreff: Paleonet: Known First as Fossils - Clarification
>
>             Hi All,
>  Some have suggested that I look into “living fossils.” The
> examples I am looking for are not necessarily “living
> fossils.” To me, that term describes taxa whose lineages have an
> extremely long geological records and which persist today in basically
> the same form. This would be things like Latimeria, cockroaches, Lingula,
> lycopods, etc. But I am only looking for taxa that were first known as
> fossils and then were subsequently found extant. This would include
> things like the XXX known >from 4 million year old fossils and then later
> found alive today, as well as things like coelacanths, but not things
> like horseshoe crabs. I also wouldn’t consider the XXX a
> “living fossil” because of its relatively recent oldest
> fossil occurrence.
>  Best,
>  Carl
>

>              Carl Mehling
>  Fossil Amphibian, Reptile, and Bird Collections
>  Division of Paleontology
>  American Museum of Natural History
>  Central Park West @79th Street
>  New York, NY  10024
>  (212) 769-5849
>  Fax: (212) 769-5842
>  cosm at amnh.org

Nikolaus Malchus
PhD (Geology-Paleontology)
Dept. de Geologia/Unitat Paleontologia, Universitat
Autònoma de Barcelona, Campus, Edifici Cs
08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès), Catalonia,
SPAIN; Tel x34-93-581-1464 / Fax x34-93-581-1263
http://www.senckenberg.de/odes/06-16.htm
International Congress on Bivalvia, July 2006
published abstracts, field guides and posters