Paleonet: Barking up the Wrong Tree

James Mahaffy Mahaffy at dordt.edu
Fri Mar 9 22:04:57 GMT 2007

Periderm is right, but the term if I remember my Plant Anatomy is also
used for bark in angiosperms (secondary cortical tissue).

I suspect there is no reason why it could not be called bark (except
paleobotanist never do and unlike angiosperm bark, mu ch of the
structural support of arborescent lycopods was dependent on the periderm
instead of the xylem).

Interesting plants.
--

James Mahaffy (mahaffy at dordt.edu)          Phone: 712 722-6279