Paleonet: Known First as Fossils

björn kröger bjoekroe at gmx.de
Mon Mar 19 06:36:12 GMT 2007

Hi Carl,

another "Known first as Fossils":
the Insect Order Mantodesmatodea, known first from Baltic amber, in
2002 described as extant (Mantophasma zephyra, and Mantophasma
subsolana) from Namibia.

Klass, K.-D., Zompro, O., Kristensen, N. P. & Adis, J. 2002.
Mantophasmatodea: a new insect order with extant members in the
Afrotropics. Science, 18. April 2002. Lenssen-Erz, T. & Erz, M.-T.
2000. Brandberg - der Bilderberg Namibias. Jan Thorbecke Verlag, ISBN
3-7995-9030-7. Zompro, O.: The Phasmatodea and Raptophasma n.gen.,
Orthoptera incertae sedis, in Baltic amber (Insecta: Orthoptera).
Mitt. Geol.-Paläont. Inst. Univ. Hamburg 85: 229-261, 2001]. Zompro,
O., Adis, J. & Weitschat, W. 2002. A review of the Order
Mantophasmatodea (Insecta). Zool. Anz., im Druck.

I have put together some of the listed "Known first as Fossils" in a
posting in my blog (in german only) at: http://www.tiefes-leben.de/
2007/03/13/lebende-fossilien/.

bjoern

On Mar 7, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Jere H. Lipps wrote:

> This is a great subject.  Perhaps all this information could be put
> on a web site someplace.   Kinda hard to keep track of all these good
> emails.  I'd use it in teaching and outreach.    Jere

Dr. Björn Kröger
Museum für Naturkunde
an der Humboldt Universität Berlin
Invalidenstr. 43