Paleonet: Trilobite authorities questions

K P burszt at hotmail.com
Tue May 12 05:27:47 UTC 2009

Can someone help me with trilobite authorities and names?  I'm okay with extant plants, it seems, but fossil animals are a bit trying.

I'm looking at an assortment of trilobites on the SEM and have a handful of trilobite taxonomy questions  concerning authorities and names and was hoping there would be useful answers from Paleonetters--maybe answer off list, unless there's some current interesting debate about a particular classification.

Is there a specific resource for finding zoological authorities and dates for fossils--there is an on-line paleontology data base but it is not set up to give authorities like IPNI an Algae Base, the ones I'm used to using?

1.  Should I use Redlichiida as the order or Ollenelida (for Olenellus and Esmeraldina/Holmia)?

2.  Which name is correct, Esmeraldina rowei/Holmia rowei?  Author and date?

3.  Peronopsis interstricta - author and date?

4.  Ogyginus cordenis - author and date?

5.  Phacops crassituberculata or Phacops rana crassituberculata?  Author and date?

6.  Coronocephalus jastrowi - Author and date?

7.  Ceraurus pleurexanthemus - Author and date?

All of these are fairly common trilobites, except maybe the last, as I've looked at it from only one locality, although the authority and date are probably in my Walcott Rust Quarry references for that one.  I thought the authorities would be easy to find.

Also, I have a small handful of Utah trilobites (Cambrian) without any genus attached to them.  They are common as dirt, as I've seen them all of my life.  Can anyone identify the genus from an image?  I don't think I can send an attachment via Paleonet, so I haven't, but I will send a file to anyone who can help.  I promise if you know North American Cambrian trilobites I will be asking you the equivalent of identifying a daisy, and I only need the information at that level.

Thanks for any help, Kleo