Paleonet: Outreach for public science literacy

David Kopaska-Merkel davidkm at gsa.state.al.us
Thu Jun 2 14:32:07 UTC 2011

In Alabama we have two active amateur fossil collecting groups.
Professional paleontologists in the state work with both groups, giving
lectures at meetings and providing other kinds of support as needed.
Both amateur groups support professional paleontology by donating
noteworthy specimens to museums in the state. They do this primarily
because their origin in the 1980s involved professional paleontologists
from the very beginning. One group volunteers at a teacher fossil field
workshop. The other group successfully rescued an important fossil site
and visits it at least monthly. All important specimens are donated to
museums. Direct interaction with teachers is more difficult, because
they are overworked, but visiting classrooms and participating in
teacher professional development days, as already suggested here, are
very valuable to teachers. Some groups in this state make and distribute
fossil kits and rock and mineral kits for teachers. A group at the
University of South Alabama also trains trainers, some of these are
undergraduate students, who teach teachers how to use the kits. This is
probably one of the most effective forms of outreach.

There is more, but this is what comes to mind at the moment.

David

David C Kopaska-Merkel
Geological Survey of Alabama
Box 869999
Tuscaloosa AL 35486-6999
205-247-3695
www.gsa.state.al.us
fax 205-349-2861

Got questions? sednet might have answers: