Paleonet: GSA 2011 Topical Session

Emily King eking at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 7 02:53:34 UTC 2011

Dear all,

David Bapst and I would like to let you know about a topical session we are organizing at this year's Geological Society of America annual meeting which may be of general interest.  The session is entitled "Phylogenetic Approaches to Paleobiology: Diversity, Rates and Trends." It is sponsored by the Paleontological Society. We hope to bring together speakers working on a variety of questions and study groups who share an interest in using phylogenetic methods to address paleobiological questions.  We hope to highlight how the fields of paleobiology and phylogenetic comparative methods intersect in studies of such topics as morphological and taxonomic diversification and rates and patterns of character evolution.  If you are involved in such research, we would like to encourage you to submit an abstract.

GSA will be held in Minneapolis from October 9-12, 2011.  The abstract submission deadline is July 26. There should be many other sessions of general interest to paleontologists.  You can find out more about the meeting and submit an abstract at http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2011/.  Let me or Dave know if you have any questions.

Emily King and David Bapst

University of Chicago
Department of Geophysical Sciences