Paleonet: Arizona fossil collecting sites

Achim Herrmann Achim.Herrmann at asu.edu
Thu Mar 17 18:49:43 GMT 2011

Insider knowledge here .. the locality close to Kohls Ranch is great. I take my students and visitors there. Rich pickings of tons of stuff, both as float as well as in situ. In addition to very abundant brachs one can find nice shark teeth. Furthermore, since you are spending time on the plateau mostly it seems, it's not too far away from the places you are visiting. Just a "short" detour if you are heading from Petrified Forest to the Grand Canyon. It's also very accessible. There is an official exit from the highway labelled "paleo site" (or something) with parking just a few feet away from the outcrop.
Contact me offline if you need more info.
cheers
Achim

Achim D. Herrmann, Ph.D.
Honors Faculty Fellow, Barrett Honors College
Faculty Affiliate, School of Earth and Space Exploration

Barrett, The Honors College
Arizona State University
Admin. Offices, Sage Hall
1711 S Rural Road