Paleonet: An Open Letter in Support of Digital Data Archiving

Jere Lipps jlipps at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 26 18:14:24 GMT 2011

Data archives are also pushed by NSF.  The big problem with data
archives is the the continuing cost of maintenance and storage.  NSF
encourages starting these but has yet to come through with long-term
archival funding.   Maybe commercial journals can do this because they
can add the cost to subscription prices but societies will eventually be
stressed to do it at all.    AAAS (Brooks Hansen) did a study of this
and found the future bleak.   It's a great idea, of course.

What are your ideas for long-term financing for archiving?

Jere