Paleonet: impact factors- etc (Jere H. Lipps)

Dieter Waloßek dieter.waloszek at uni-ulm.de
Fri Jul 13 15:46:39 UTC 2012

And just to add something more provocative:
These in-depth papers are, at least are intended, to provide long-standing information (obscure is a relative term in this respect because even journals of big institutions sometimes turn into this when people think all must and must have been published as a pdf...... remember when this started!), while often enough the information presented in so-called high-rank journals is either a fast shot and you never hear of it again, or really wrong and people cite it only to disagree............ if this make an high impact, no thanks.

My one cent, DIETER

Am 13.07.2012 um 16:38 schrieb <James.Verhoff at CH2M.com> <James.Verhoff at CH2M.com>:

>  Science and Nature simply aren’t going to publish a paper on the depositional history of a minor bolson within the Basin and Range—no one outside of researchers in the Basin and Range is going to be interested. For those of us who are interested, these reports are critical, as there’s often no other place to get the information. High-IF journals like Science and Nature have certainly earned that rank, but the publications of local museums that focus on deep exploration of narrow, local topics, some of which generate no interest beyond that region, are often far more valuable to a researcher on the ground, in a utilitarian sense. With the passing of the Omnibus Public Land Management Act, particularly Section D, my sense is that salvage paleontology is going to increase in scope, and therefore this type of consideration is going to become more important.

Prof. Dr. Dieter Waloszek
University of Ulm, Biosystematic Documentation
Helmholtzstraße 20, 89081 Ulm, Germany
phone x49-731-5031000, fax 5031009
dieter.waloszek at uni-ulm.de
Center of Orsten Research & Exploration C.O.R.E.:  http://www.CORE-Orsten-Research.de