Paleonet: International Geological Timescale [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

John.Laurie at ga.gov.au John.Laurie at ga.gov.au
Thu Oct 4 00:35:38 UTC 2012

Paleonetters,

Most of you seem to have missed the point of my diatribe. I am not unaware of the process of working out the finer points of a geological timescale, with all the uncertainties that entails. Back in the 1990s, I was involved in developing a standard version for use in this organisation (see Young & Laurie, 1996) to replace GTS 1989. All I wish for, is that in 2012, when the two timescales which arrive on my desk, actually agree, as they did in 2004. Of course I realise that these beasts are provisional; that is the nature of science. If they weren't, all geochronologists could pack up and go home.

The explanation provided by Jim Ogg (via Erik Anthonissen) clarifies things to some extent by explaining the reasons for the disparity. However, this still does not alter the fact that the two sources of the timescale disagree. The ICS version has the imprimatur of the ICS, while the other has the utility of Timescale Creator. Is it too much to hope that they should actually talk to each other?

John

Dr John R. Laurie
Energy Division
GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA
GPO Box 378
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia

Tel: (02) 6249 9412; Fax: (02) 6249 9980
E-mail: John.Laurie at ga.gov.au
Street Address:
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue & Hindmarsh Drive
Symonston ACT 2609
ABN 80 091 799 039