Paleonet: SCUM XVII

Lindsey Groves lgroves at nhm.org
Mon Sep 10 22:40:51 UTC 2012

Southern California Unified Malacologists XVII:
SCUM returns to LACM!

January 19th 2013
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM(?)
900 Exposition Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90007

The seventeenth annual gathering of the Southern California Unified Malacologists (SCUM) will convene in the Times Mirror Room (Ground Floor) of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County.  SCUM is an informal association of professional, student, and amateur Malacologists and Molluscan Paleontologists who are active or interested in mollusk research.  The purpose of the annual gatherings is to facilitate contact and keep one another informed of research activities and opportunities.  There are no dues, no officers, and no publications.

The doors will open at 8:00 AM for breakfast-type fare and the meeting will begin around 9:00 AM.  Lunch can be a simple affair at the NHM Grill by Trimana which serves a variety of hot lunches, prepackaged items, and daily specials.   For the adventurous types ... the California ScienCenter, which is within five minutes walking distance east of the museum, in Exposition Park, has McDonalds, Taco Bell, and The Rose Garden Café which has a sandwich/hot item counter.  Quiznos subs, Chipotle Grill, Pizza Rustica, and Robeks Juice are also within 10 minutes walking distance on Figueroa St. near Exposition Blvd.

Tentative schedule:

8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Meet and greet with coffee, tea, and pastry items
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Announcements, introductions, and short informal presentations
12:00 PM: Group photo (weather permitting) in the newly opened 'NHM North Campus' outdoor laboratory area or on the east or south steps of the museum.
12:15 PM - 1:30 PM: Lunch break
1:30 PM - 3:30 PM: More presentations
3:30 PM -- ??:  Malacology collection access/tours

For detailed presentations a LCD projector with PC laptop will be available for those participants with PowerPoint presentations.  NOTE: Please limit presentations to 15 minutes tops with five minutes for questions.  Also, please check your program ahead of schedule to make sure everything is in order.   It would also be very helpful to know ahead of time who will be presenting detailed talks to prepare a speakers schedule.

Directions to LACM:
>From the Harbor Freeway southbound (I-110): Exit at Exposition Blvd. and follow the off ramp as it curves west directly onto Exposition Blvd.  There are traffic lights at Flower and Figueroa streets and then three lights for access to USC.  Just past the light at USC Watt Way is Bill Robertson Lane (formerly known as Menlo Ave.).  Turn left on Bill Robertson Lane crossing the Expo light rail line and park in lot 3 on the west side of the street just past the stop sign.  Let the lot attendant know you are attending SCUM.
>From the Harbor Freeway northbound (I-110): Exit at Exposition Blvd./37th St.   Proceed through the intersection past the DMV office, turn left under the freeway onto Exposition Blvd., and follow directions as above to the museum.

Parking is free for attendees but there are no in-and-out privileges. After parking, cross Bill Robertson Lane using the crosswalk and enter the museum staff entrance (= the foyer of the Jean Delacour Auditorium). The  staff member on duty will have everyone sign in and will issue sticker-type visitor's badge.  Please wear this badge if you leave the museum for any reason, as it will be necessary to re-enter the building.

For those who wish to stay overnight near LACM, the Vagabond Inn (3101 So. Figueroa St., 1-800-522-1555, ~$89/night) and the Radisson Hotel (3540 So. Figueroa St., 1-888-201-1718, ~$169/night) are both within walking distance of the museum.

Please RSVP!  It is of the utmost importance to RSVP as soon as possible. This will help us decide how much coffee to brew, how many pastries to purchase, how many parking spaces to request, and who will be presenting detailed talks.  Many apologies for the multiple notices you may receive as this announcement is being sent to SCUM attendees of the past and posted on PaleoNet, Mollusca, and Conch-L.  For more information and/or questions contact either one of us privately ... please do not reply to this announcement as it will be distributed to dozens of our molluscan colleagues.  Also feel free to forward this notice to others who may be interested in attending SCUM XVII.

Aloha,

Lindsey Groves                                                         Mary Stecheson
Nat. Hist. Museum of L.A. Co.                                Nat. Hist. Museum of L.A. Co.
Malacology Sect.                                                      Invertebrate Paleontology Sect.
lgroves at nhm.org<mailto:lgroves at nhm.org>                                                     msteches at nhm.org<mailto:msteches at nhm.org>
213-763-3376 (voice)                                                 213-763-3380 (museum)
213-746-2999 (fax)                                                     213-744-4365 (offsite)