Paleonet: GSA PS Session: Microfossils in the Coastal Zone

Christy Visaggi christy.visaggi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:43:35 GMT 2014

Please see below for a session of interest with PS sponsorship at GSA 2014
in Vancouver. Abstracts are due 29 July 2014.  Thanks!

T176.  Microfossils in the Coastal Zone:  Indicators of Coastal Change over
Short- and Long-Term Timescales

Conveners: Andrea Hawkes (hawkesa at uncw.edu), Jessica Pilarczyk (
jpilar at marine.rutgers.edu), and Tina Dura (dura at sas.upenn.edu)

More than half of the world’s population resides within 60 km of the coast.
Coastal change presents a hazard to these intense concentrations of
population, economic production, and static infrastructure. Understanding
how land-use change (e.g., pollution, sediment transport, geoarcheaology),
extreme events (e.g., earthquakes, storms, tsunamis) and sea-level change
have altered coastal systems in the past will improve our ability to
forecast how these systems will respond to future changes.  Microfossils
are an effective tool for monitoring and reconstructing coastal change
because species occupy diverse ecological niches spanning the entire
environmental gradient presented by the coastal zone from marine to
freshwater conditions.  We explore recent interdisciplinary advances in
microfossil research and their application to the coastal zone.  We welcome
a broad range of studies that employ microfossils as indicators of coastal
change over various spatial and temporal scales such as punctuated extreme
events to long-term environmental change.  We encourage a breadth of
studies (e.g., pollution indicators, sediment transport, tsunamis, storms,
sea level), particularly those that use microfossils to reconstruct records
of past earthquakes, storms, tsunamis, and sea-level.

Abstracts for this topical session (T176) can be submitted at:

http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2014/sessions/topical.asp

Dr. Andrea D. Hawkes

Department of Geography and Geology

Center for Marine Science