Paleonet: Quaternary O substitute (for concentrating forams)

Anthony Butcher anthony.butcher at port.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 16:15:17 GMT 2018

Dear all,

Can anyone suggest a safe, readily-available (in the UK) alternative to
Quat-O for the 'soap-float' method of concentrating forams?

Or any other suggestions for concentrating them?  (For an undergrad
project).

(We do have access to SPT for palynology, but I don;t want to use this for
forams as any calcium forms an insoluble salt, so I was suprised that it
was recommended on one site).

Many thanks, and all the best,

Tony Butcher (Uni. Portsmouth, UK)

--

*__________________________________________________*

*Dr Anthony Butcher*
*Course Leader - BSc (Hons)/MGeol Palaeontology*
*Departmental Outreach Coordinator*
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road
Portsmouth
PO1 3QL
United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) 23 9284 2486
Fax: (+44) 23 9284 2244
anthony.butcher at port.ac.uk

*Biostratigraphy - Palynology - Micropalaeontology*