Paleonet: PaleoNet Posting Problems Are So Yesterday

N. MacLeod n.macleod9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:35:18 GMT 2018

Dear All:

As I hope all of you are aware, we uncovered some problems with the Paleonet listserver yesterday. Many of you were not getting the (mercifully few) posts that were uploaded to the list late last week. The good news is that we think we’ve found the problem and fixed it. So, you should receive this post which - cautiously - announces the re-resumption of PaleoNet services. Please accept my apologies for the slight confusion you may have experiences over the last few days regarding PaleoNet. Thanks go, once again to Alan Spencer who did the technical work on this settings fix and to Mary Lou Pojeta who first brought the problem to our attention.

If you received this posting via PaleoNet, great. If you don’t … you won’t necessarily know what to do. But if anyone hears of anyone else who is having a problem please ask them to get in touch with me offline.

In the interest of getting all the critical information about PaleoNet’s migration out to all subscribers I’m reposting my announcement from 2 March below.

—————
In reinstating the list of PaleoNet subscribers we had to reset everyone’s PaleoNet account to their default settings and reset everyone’s passwords to a new random combination of letters. This reset does not effect the operation of anyone’s PaleoNet account. So far as we can see, everyone who had a subscription on Monday still has one today and all the subscriptions are active and operating normally. However, some of you had elected to receive PaleoNet postings in digest form. If you are a digest subscriber you will need to log into your PaleoNet account and make alternations to the default settings so you receive PaleoNet postings the way you want to receive them. In addition, if you’re concerned about security on your account you should go into your PaleoNet account and reset the password to something you regard as secure. Default PaleoNet passwords consist of 8 alphabetic characters which would be regarded as providing good, but not excellent, security by contemporary standards. Alan’s and my admin. passwords are more complex so the administration of the Paleonet system is secure. Personally, I doubt anyone other then palaeontologists would find much of interest to them inside the PaleoNet system. Also, since I don’t use my PaleoNet account password as a password for any other account I have anywhere, if a hacker somehow obtained my PaleoNet account password I think they would be in more danger than I (of being totally confused and then bored to death). But you may feel differently.

If you need to get into your account to alter your subscriber settings or password, the process is easy. First you’ll need to have the system send you your current password. That can be done by going to the PaleoNet Info. Page at:

Scroll to the bottom of that page and enter your subscription address into the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' textbox. [Note: if you don’t recall which of your many e-mail addresses you used to sign up to PaleoNet in the first place, go to the top of this message and take a look at the address this post was sent to you under. That’s your subscription address.] Activating the Unsubscribe or edit options’ button will take you to a 'PaleoNet List: Member Options' page from which you can touch a button and have your current password sent to your subscription address. Once you have your current password you can log into your account and change whatever your’d like to change there, or not, as you wish.

If you’ve made no changes to your account since you signed up to PaleoNet, and are happy to keep the random password that was assigned to your account yesterday, you need do nothing. The system should operate in its default mode for, just as it always has.

Of course, if you have any questions about this procedure or if it’s not working for you please contact me offline.
—————

Other than this PaleoNet appears to be open for postings again.If you tried to post someone to the list over the past few days please repost it. This will also help us check the system to make sure it’s working properly now. If you’ve been holding off posting something until you’re sure it’s back up and working, please go ahead and post it.

If any other problems crop up we’ll try to handle the unobtrusively or will make an announcement, either on the listserver or the web pages, if that’s not possible.

Bear with us, we’re getting there.

With kind regards.

Norm MacLeod

Professor Norman MacLeod
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London, SW7 5BD
(0)207 942-5204 (Office Landline)
(0)785 017-1787 (Mobile)
http://paleonet.org/MacLeod/

Department of Earth Sciences, University College
London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK

Nanjing Institute of Geology & Palaeontology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences, 39 Beijing, Donglu, Nanjing, China