Paleonet: Mystery specimen

Howard Gibbins gibbins at ualberta.ca
Thu Mar 8 18:47:48 GMT 2018

Greetings,

Please excuse the cross posting, but I figured that it was best to send
this to both Preplist & PaleoNet to get the best coverage possible.

We have a specimen of a partial Champsosaur skull in our possession, with
the catalogue number 8220 written on it in black ink (see attached
pictures). We don't believe it is our specimen. A handwritten note with
specimen states [possibly by Bruce Naylor?]:  "Probably Not our specimen -
Whose?  NMC?"

We have checked with National Museum of Canada, & Royal Ontario Museum but
both say it isn't theirs.

The specimen was possibly borrowed by Dr. Richard Fox in late 1960's during
his research on Champsosauridae; but as of this date [March 8, 2018]  no
original home has been found.

I would appreciate it if you could check your collections for a missing
specimen, and let me know if it is yours.

Howard Gibbins
University of Alberta
Laboratory for Vertebrate Palaeontology
Biological Sciences Building