Paleonet: Collection Manager, Vertebrate Paleontology, Peabody Museum of Natural History
n.macleod9 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:04:55 GMT 2019
This just in ....
*Collection Manager, Vertebrate Paleontology - 54457BR*
*Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and
growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston
and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with
cultural resources that include three major museums, a
critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall,
and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.*
*General Purpose:* Reporting to the Curator-in-Charge of the Division,
under the direction of Vertebrate Paleontology (VP) Curators, and in
conjunction with the Director of Collections and Research, the VP
Collection Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the
VP Division, with the primary goal of promoting the use, maintenance,
and growth of Vertebrate Paleontology collections at the Yale Peabody
Museum of Natural History (YPM).
* Manages all aspects of specimen loans, including consultation with
Preparation Lab to ensure safe packing and shipping, and tracks
internal and external usage statistics, including frequency of
* Manages the housing of specimens and the arrangement of collections
for long-term preservation and usefulness; oversees collections
facilities, access requests, and security.
* Oversees cataloging and digitization efforts for incoming
collections, backlogs, loans, and research or teaching requests;
promotes dissemination of specimen information through on-line
collections portals including image databases and 3-D libraries.
* Provides taxonomic identifications of specimens and assesses their
associated data for accuracy and historical context, including
promoting continuous upgrades to specimen identifications and
* Oversees efforts to improve specimen organization, preservation, and
conservation, in consultation with the Chief Preparator.
* Manages specimen acquisition, accessioning, permitting and reporting
processes associated with acquisitions, incoming collections;
manages international, federal and state compliance issues related
to collecting, import/export, and transportation of collections for
acquisitions and loans.
* Coordinates with Development staff on fund-raising opportunities;
writes collections-improvement grants to improve curation,
accessibility, and preservation of VP collections.
* Plans and develops exhibits, including writing interpretive labels,
and assists with selecting specimens for display; consults with
Chief Preparator on specimen preparation, mount making, exhibit
maintenance (e.g., cleaning, repair) and installation.
* Leads field expeditions, where 3-5 mile hikes over rough terrain are
* Uses various industrial equipment to conduct duties. Operates
gas-powered and pneumatic saws, jack hammers, and tools for removal
of rock matrix in the field and laboratory.
* Represents VP Division on YPM committees.
The Peabody Museum is preparing to embark on a four-year expansion
project, that will allow the Peabody to add 50% more gallery space and
will enhance the experience of museum-goers, students and researchers
alike. For more information on the expansion project, please visit
*Required Education and Experience:* Master's degree in a related field
and three years of museum related experience or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
* Administrative, management, and supervisory skills.
* Knowledge of vertebrate anatomy, systematics, and fossil record.
* Knowledge of conservation principles, procedures, methods, and
* Knowledge of collection databasing, imaging, and workflows.
Knowledge of fieldwork techniques.
* Oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills.
Ability to work independently.
* *Preferred Education and Experience*: Advanced degree preferred,
preferably in a field related to vertebrate paleontology. At least
three years’ experience in a museum environment, or an equivalent
combination of education and experience, in a field related to
vertebrate paleontology. Valid motor vehicle license.
*Application: *For more information and immediate consideration, please
apply online at http://bit.ly/2HA1yiz
Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
*We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and
excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great
workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful
accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best
anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time
off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement
benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.*
/Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to,
and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race,
color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or
ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual
orientation or gender identity or expression./
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Paleonet