Paleonet: Fossils from Tharangambadi, India

Øyvind Hammer oyvind.hammer at nhm.uio.no
Sat Jun 18 22:58:47 UTC 2022

Hello Experts -

An Indian marine biologist colleague is finding interesting fossils of crabs, together with gastropods, bivalves etc., on beaches near Tharangambadi (formerly Tranquebar) in the state of Tamil Nadu, southern India. Looks Neogene or Quaternary to me, but we have not found detailed geological maps or other publications with precise stratigraphical information.

I would be very grateful for any info about the geology and paleontology of Tharangambadi!

Øyvind Hammer
Natural History Museum, University of Oslo